Wolves Topple Giants

Edinburgh Wolves Pick Up First Win In The Premiership

A depleted Edinburgh Wolves squad made the long journey down to Sheffield on Sunday to take on the Sheffield Giants.

On a blisteringly hot day the first two possessions were even with both defences forcing 3 and outs. On the Wolves second possession a sustained drive by the Wolves offence ended with a touchdown when Jamie Morrison found Stuart Galloway with a perfectly thrown pass at the back of the end zone.  Unfortunately, Galloway would soon leave the game after a late and unnecessary hit out of bounds by a Giants defender. Lloyd Dignan slotted home the extra point to put the Wolves up 7-0.

The Wolves defence smothered the Giants offence, with the Giants QB scrambling for his life on several occasions. Steve MacDonald caused problems in the backfield and ended the day with a sack and several tackles for a loss.

DE Rachael Moody became the first women to play for the Wolves Senior Team

With the defence forcing the Giants offence off the field quickly the Wolves O looked to capitalize. Morrison extended the lead when he found Dignan wide open. Dignan again converted the extra point to put the Wolves up 14-0.

Going into the second quarter the Giants tried to lean on the run game to help the offence however the Wolves defensive line caused havoc all day and prevented any holes to open up for the running backs. Rachael Moody made history becoming the first women to play for the senior team. The defensive end who has been selected for the Women’s GB team finished the day with 2 sacks and a tackle for a loss.

The Wolves added another score through Dignan to increase the lead to 21-0. There was a controversial moment when Steve MacDonald intercepted an errant throw and returned it 40 yards, the official on the Wolves side-line signalled that he had scored however the head official disagreed and the ball was marked at the 1 yard line of the Giants. However, the Wolves could not capitalise and the half ended with the Wolves up 21-0.

In the second half the wolves again took control Dignan added his third TD of the day and Morrison’s 4th passing. The extra point was converted and the wolv
es now had a commanding 28-0 lead. The defence started to rotate in some of the backups to get them valuable experience at the

MVP Lloyd Dignan with OC Dan Cameron

premiership level. Adam Rendall a product of the Wolves youth team made his debut and showed he could be one for the future, Simon Douglas a recent recruit also impressed in his second game for the club.

The Wolves ended the match by adding another score this time a field goal put through the uprights by Dignan.

The Bulleit Bourbon MVP: Lloyd Dignan (3 TD’s, 4 Extra Points and 1 FG)

The Wolves next match is on Sunday the 7th of May @ Peffermill against the East Kilbride Pirates. Entry for this game is free with kick off at 2:30pm.

All photos courtesy of David Robertson


You may also like...