Match Centre - August 14, 2016 - 2:30 pm

BAFANL Semi-Final

Edinburgh Wolves
Kent Exiles

@ Peffermill Stadium

Match Details

photo 14

Wolves Move On To National Finals

On Sunday the Edinburgh Wolves competed in the BAFA national league division 1 semi-final against the Kent Exiles.

With both sides knowing that a victory would guarantee Premiership football for next year.

Kent made the 900 mile round trip up with a large squad and the match was predicted to be a tightly contested encounter.

The Wolves came into the match short-handed with defensive tackle Martin Punter ruled out early in the week, leading TD scorer Lloyd Dignan was unavailable due to #DignanWedding and defensive captain Jon Young rushed to hospital on Sunday morning.

It certainly looked like the odds would be stacked against the Wolves.

Once the game was underway however all doubts were erased. The Wolves offensive line mauled the Kent defence creating huge holes for Steve Wilson and Stuart Galloway to run through and protecting Jamie Morrison all day.

The Wolves opened the scoring in the first quarter with Steve Wilson going in to the end zone after an excellent long drive from the Wolves offence. Murray Davidson converted the extra point to put the Wolves up 7-0.

Wilson again found the end-zone after another sustained drive putting the Wolves up 14-0 and comfortably in control of the game.

The offence masterfully utilised the no huddle controlling the tempo of the game and ensuring the visitors played on their heels.

When the defence stepped onto the field the stifled what had been up to that point a high powered attack. Anthony Pinkerton played superbly at middle backer causing havoc and troubling the offensive line constantly.

Going into the 2nd quarter the Wolves managed to pin the Exiles back in their own half to start drives, forcing the Exiles to be more aggressive with play calls. Unable to connect on any big plays they quickly went on 3 and outs.

Jamie Morrison found Adam Ingram with a great pass in the back of the end-zone and sure handed wide receiver pulled it in to put the wolves up 21-0 at the half.

In the second half the defensive backs blanketed the Exiles wide receivers and made it impossible for the Kent Quarterback to connect with his intended targets and allowing the defensive line to sack him on numerous occasions.

The offensive line again continued to dominate and Steve Wilson added another 2 touchdowns on the ground and ensured that the running clock would be used for the rest of the game.

With the running clock in place the Wolves subbed in many of the backups and saw out the rest of the game.

Emerging from the semi-final with a 35-0 victory the Wolves will now head to their third national final in as many years. The Wolves will now face off against Bury Saints on Sunday the 28th of August with kick off at 4pm.

What’s more the Wolves have now ensured for the first time in their illustrious 10 year history that they will be playing premiership football next season!


Fireball MVP the entire offensive line and tight ends.

Click below for the game recap

Game Recap